WH40k has a dark gothic feel to it and it has blood and guts by the Rhino load. SO first I will look at damage and death. Death should not just be a enemy dying, it has to feel right, chaos and xenos skum deserve no less. Weapons should be able to inflict gruesome damage and space marines should be able to rips heads off as they go along. So as gruesome as it indeed sounds, I will be implementing "fatality" moves to the game. At first they will be automatic, kind of like a critical hit, but only if the hit is close to killing the enemy.
- Decapitation, and de-limbing.
- Blood spatter and blood spurts. (corpses that continue to spurt blood for a few turns)
- Bodies flung across rooms and smashing into walls and other bodies.
- Wieldable body parts (not that you would want to)
- Total corpse destruction, e.g. ash, goo etc.
Weapons will only be capable of certain fatalities, i.e a chainsword can remove a head, a powerfist can crush heads or fling bodies around and a flamer can turn bodies to ash.
This will be easy enough to do in ascii but in tiles it will provide problems. Oh well...